Popular Posts

Monday, November 14, 2011

Tintin - a Spielberg-Jackson spectacle!

Tintin has finally landed on the silver-screen and has conquered!!!
I saw the film on Children's Day (November 14th). 
I wasn't supposed to go for the movie that day. But my appointment got cancelled and it so happened that I had to kill time for two hours or so. Hence, I turned up at the South City mall multiplex, Fame, and was lucky to grab the only remaining ticket for the show (the display board was showing Houseful though!), and eventually, the technically resplendent Spielberg-Jackson spectacle hit me!

But there is also a side-story, which I am about to tell.

Let me confess, that very day, I wasn't in a mood for a movie exactly.
Yet I warmed up within minutes, as I grappled with the 3D glasses and found myself next to a kid from class seven who had turned up for the movie all by himself. I hesitated for a while to strike up a conversation with the boy, considering the possible inappropriateness of chatting up, being a rank stranger to him. But he warmed up too easily. I found out that he was from the same school where I had studied. And, like me, he too was a Tintin fan (who isn't?).
The two of us had a whale of a time, marveling at the action-packed, slick escapade that unfolded on screen. We even compared our observations on the theme of comic book versus movie adaptation, and tried to be neutral in our appraisal of the film we were watching. As expected, he - being a today's kid - was a lot more aware of stuff, even the technicalities of the filming process, than I was at his age. Yet, I was happy to note that he retained his basic innocence and was a lovely kid to befriend, my earnest regard for his parents. He talked about his hobbies, school, teachers, and such things, in the intermission.

Actually, we grew quite impatient with the intermission stretching on and on, on top of being inserted at the oddest of moment, in the midst of a delightful action-sequence.

The film ended, we went our ways, saying polite goodbyes. Yet the memory lingers on....... as it felt for a while that I met my own self, my own childhood, in the confines of the theater; my eyes were covered by the 3D glasses; a colorful world emanated, and the added dimension of simple escapist delight filled my senses.

17 comments:

Anirban Halder said...

Loved the post! Finally, an official take from you on one of the favourite childhood heroes of our generation.

I wonder what Spielberg wanted to do with our dear Captain's nose!! Please, he has a better one.

Saahil said...

I love the series and loved the movie immensely! Spielberg has done a fantastic job in transcreating the magic of the comic-book. Also, the music by John Williams is simply awesome!

Krishh said...

Good to know that you have loved the film. I've had a few reservations about the character of Haddock as played by Andy Serkis, and also a bit about the attempt to blend in three tales into one, but on the whole it has been an enjoyable watch, a perfect treat for the whole family.

Ronnit said...

I hadn't expected to like Jamie Bell as Tintin, but thanks to the superb animation, and the special stopmotion technology used in the filming, I was transported to a whole new world and had to drop all apprehensions...... a spectacular, fantabulous, 'ten-thousand-thundering-typhoons' watch!!!!!;)

Unknown said...

Liked the movie. But, for me, the books hold a far greater charm. I wish the Spielberg film had toned down the action scenes by a few degrees. Too much of the action stuff keep spilling over on the screen (and off it too, as it has top-notch 3D effects) all the time, that skips the interactive charm that one could have taken home from an adventure like this. The movie is a must watch nonetheless, for all.

Kunaal said...

Cool movie, and a cool post!
Had great fun watching it on Sunday with my friends. The packed hall roared with applause..... an unparalleled experience for me!
Hail Spielberg-Jackson! Hail Tintin!

pallavi said...

I have always been crazy for Tintin and was always hoping that a feature film based on the series would be unleashed on the big screen......
My ecstasy was thus evident when on 11th it released here in India, and I watched it first day first show.
Feel so rewarded by the adventure. May there be many more.

diya said...

Interesting. But I had more expectations.

Raghav said...

A fantastic film, with all the ingredients of a blockbuster. I'm sure the sequels will follow.

Prince J. said...

The coming together of Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson has ensured that we get the entertainment that we crave for and pay for.
It's a fantastic entertainer!

Deep said...

I'd like to state that making a Tintin feature film was too difficult a task, as the series of classic comic books created by the Belgian artist Georges Rémi is one of the most loved, talked about, and even seriously critiqued adventures ever! And, having that in mind, I have to say that Steven Spielberg has passed with distinction. Kudos!

Neeraj said...

For us filmlovers 11-11-11 has been a special date as we had double bonanza offered to us in theaters - "The Adventures Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn" and "Rockstar" - and both have been rocking experiences. I'm sure viewers across ages and preferences are going to appreciate both flicks (or at least either of them, if they decide to stay away from the other due to genre-specific taste). Loved the post, Anindo.

aniruddh said...

Spielberg delivers!
As always!
Many a fan might have many a reservation about trivial parts....
But, on the whole, it's one helluva entertainer!

LoverBoy said...

Loved the flick..... not a single dull moment...... fantastic!

Sassy said...

An unforgettable experience.
A fantastic treat for the whole family.

ankush said...

A fantastic film! I enjoyed it thoroughly. It has already won the Golden Globe, and I hope it will win some more awards soon!

Siddhu said...

A fabulous write-up. It's one of those rare, special ones.

Well, the film was a joy too.
Speilberg has stretched the imagination in using the technology in new ways. A lot of digital tricks, a whole lot of exciting scenes make this film a visual journey. The performance-capture technology made by WETA Digital gives it a far too superior edge.